Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Unnoticed

Most of the day,
throughout the long drudge of the hour,
I live unnoticed,
unremarked,
unaccounted for,
not worth the frail, flickering thought
in somebody’s mind,
including those who love me
or just care about me

I believe this means
being a human being
in the human jungle
of human demeanors

It’s daunting to think
that most part of the day
I’m on my own
on this tiny, vulnerable planet
chained down by the whims
of a star,
a regular, boring celestial object
covered
with the thick, heavy crust
of its inhabitants’ thoughts and feelings
stuck to a hard core
of chemical elements

I walk the street
while the others step on my shadow
and they never feel a thing
and many times
they don’t even notice the shadow
that is me
or if they see it,
they take me for another shadow
the shadow of a tree,
or a venerable building,
or a dying dove

The only way
to fix my invisibility
is to keep thinking about you
the one I love, the one I care about,
my partner into a flimsy boat
we paddle together
on the roughed up sea of time.

That makes me feel less lonely.
and less unnoticed,
and more visible
on this noisy, lonely planet
astray in a corner of this taciturn,
cavernous universe