Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Manager

Oh, it’s again that time of the year: the holidays season. The time when it usually snows just a bit, in spite of big expectations related  to white Christmas and skiing and drinking mulled wine and calling parents, friends and relatives to ask how’s been their life lately.

Back to work, this year my team spoiled me: first off I got a nice gift with hand-made glasswork from Pakistan; then a good brand of Chinese wine, of that sort that you may find in LCBO but only if you live in a Chinese impregnated area in the city, like Markham for instance; then I got a vase with a gilded mask made in Changdu, a known province in China… Also a gift can be considered the set of warm endorsements I got from  one of my senior developers on LinkedIn, plus a recommendation on the same site written in high terms, like “best manager ever”, “excellent professional”, etc., by another developer in my team.

Of course, I’m not used to this kind of attentions and for a short while after I received them I felt bad, like being the subject of a corrupting plot. The nepotism in action. Be careful with your boss to be safe and get a hefty bonus. But then I thought that after all it’s Christmas time, and I had left on their desks a small gift a week back, more like a token of appreciation, ‘tis the season of love spread around and with no discrimination. The season of “oh, I love you, humanity!”

When Helen gave me that nice vase adorned with the gilded mask, she mentioned that she has got that during a meeting when she was still back in China, and I said: “Wow! Thank you, Helen, but you shouldn’t have!”, to which she replied: “No, I wanted to thank you for being such a good and supportive manager!” Some other guys told me the same thing, using different words of course.

Then I thought: actually I didn’t do anything else but the right thing while managing this team. I always chose the common sense solution, without trying to be a good manager on purpose, let alone get an advantage out of it. The work environment we have is like most of the others I know: the pressure gets so intense that sometimes you expect to see the ceiling blown up, high in the sky, and thick clouds of brainy steam getting lose in the atmosphere. It is how the people work nowadays, like workhorses, using more the brute power of their mental muscles to pull the heavy cart of their stumbling company than the subtleties of their creative skills that would give them the satisfaction of feeling happy with whom they are. In this hefty work driven environment I got hired and am getting paid to use my common sense, and be fair in any situation that requires the intervention of a manager. Apparently this is all it takes to be a good manager, in a world where good managers are becoming like rara avis, which is the Latin combo for “rare birds.” The whole story was reminiscent of a get-together my wife and I had with a group of friends, in summer. We were in our backyard around the fire pit, drinking wine and going quickly through all kind of topics with the lack of structure or consistency which a free chat between friends displays. Everything was unstructured, sounding rather silly, the ideas were bouncing around like billiard balls chucked by an untrained hand, without any apparent direction or strategy, till one of us, perhaps without even wanting it, brought the group’s attention to our day of work. The question that popped up instantly was “Do you feel cool at work?” Nobody said they were fine with work. Every single person in that group – and I’m talking here about eight people, not including the children, who’d perhaps complained about their nannies had they had the right -,had only bad words to say about their bosses. The general idea was that regardless of where you work, your business environment shares a common set of traits: assholes perked up in positions of command, tyrant bosses with a mountain of an ego, poor communication skills, easily affrontable and arrogant people who take everything personally after someone is trying to suggest that someone else may have discovered the theory of relativity, vengeful personalities with a nonchalant lack of vision and attachment to any cause. Poor managers. Low quality professionals. And that in a world that boasts shamefully that it is built on a foundation of unique professionalism.

At some point one of us said that “the world goes clearly through a managerial crisis” and some other one (perhaps me because I always like to challenge the established norm) said “because these assholes are chosen from ambitious people with certifications and no talent or call for leadership, let alone common sense for common situations that involve people.”

And what happened during this X-mas time can only prove this assumption. I definitely am not a talented manager, or have a special call for being a leader (I still feel uncomfortable in those big executive rooms, with people who have no clue about what their teams are doing but crack jokes at light speed and display both a joie de vivre and a confidence required only by a presidential candidate). But what I think I have is the common sense. And also the need to be somewhere else than in front of a team, becoming responsible for its wellbeing. When I say to my boss that I believe this is the first and last time for me in a managerial position, I’m not kidding, in spite of the doubt I see in his eyes (“yeah, sure, and I am Willy Wonka”). I really believe it. And because of this, I don’t even think about career advancement, making a difference or crap like that. I think about using the common sense to facilitate the success of my team while I temporarily lead them.

Nothing big about this. Why then everybody else has a bit of an issue with this approach. Why everything degenerated into a managerial crisis?