Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Drive" by Daniel H. Pink

From time to time I put my hands on a book that I keep thinking about long time after I finished reading it. So it happened with "Driven" by Daniel H. Pink. This book is about looking with fresh eyes to an idea as old as the human species: the motivation. The author, a young chap with a pleasant style, put together a few revolutionary ideas after reading a tome of volumes and white papers on the topic of "what motivate people to do what they do?" Now I'm not sure if these ideas are his (seemingly not), but this doesn't really matter. What matters is the powerful message he managed to transmit through his book.
And because I always hated to paraphrase what others said or thought I'm going to let the author champion his own ideas, by using a few quotes from his book:

Two key factors determine how people fare on the job. The first are the "hygiene" factors - extrinsic rewards such as pay, working conditions, and job security. Their absence create dissatisfaction, but their presence don't lead to job satisfaction. The second are "motivators" - things like enjoyment of the work itself, genuine achievement, and personal growth. These internal desires  are what really boost both satisfaction and performance and are where managers ought to focus their attention.


I am the manager of a Software Development Team. The worst place to be, some would argue, and I wouldn't even try to dissuade them, because that's the place where the talking stops and the doing starts. And doing comes always with delays, and errors, and misperceptions... Just imagine the mess from the kitchen of a great 5-start restaurant: I wouldn't want to be there. Still I am, in a different kind of kitchen, that where the software solutions are prepared and cooked. I know the people who cut and dice and arrange the software to work as the business requires: I was one of them. And yes, they are paid handsomly, but their work is risky, and volatile. Why do they stay there? Because they love what they do. They are like those chess players who can't wait to find a vacated bench in a busy park, unfold their chess board and play till the night sneaks in and they barely see the pieces on the miniaturized battlefield. Those people could care less about their financial compensation, while they care a lot about the cool moves they came up with today. Preparing a forced check mate with twenty moves in advance. This is pure gymnastics of the minds. This is what the people in my team do. Sure, sometimes they come to me and ask for a raise, but I can bet that this initiative is triggered more by their wives with their financial calculations, all driven by the damn hosuehold needs. Let's quickly get over this and get back to the software chess: did I tell you about the latest move I out in the services foundation? In a nutshell, the income counts as long as you're worried about a decent level of life. If you seek accomplishment the money won't be enough. Cool, eh?

Enjoyment based intrinsic motivation, namely how creative a person feels when working on the project, is the strongest and the most pervasive driver.


No need for comments here... Or if I had one, I should paraphrase what I just said before, and I hate that. And a final one, about the motivation that drives the software developers (a subject I'm particularly fond of)...

What drives is a set of predominantly intrinsic motives and , in particular, the fun of mastering the challenge of a given software problem and the desire to give a gift to the programmer's community

One of the targets of the book is the "old style management" that rewards the accomplisher and punishes the underachiever. In Pink's view this "old operating system" has become inefficient and we already entered into a new era of the management, that is going to be more foscused on the creation of a real motivational environment. Here's how he puts it:

In our offices and our classrooms we have way too much compliance and way too little engagement. The former might get you though the day, but only the latter will get you through the night. [...]
Perhaps it's time to toss the very word management into the linguistic ash heap alongside "icebox" and "horseless carriage." This era doesn't call for better management. It calls for a renaissance of self-direction.


This book is a real treat for mind and (professional) soul and I highly recommend to read it.